Some users have reported that after upgrading to the Joomla 3.6.x versions from 3.5 they lost the capability to install extensions with the exception of the web install functionality.
Moreover, a warning was being displayed with the following message:
No installation plugin has been enabled. At least one must be enabled to be able to use the installer. Go to the Plugin Manager to enable the plugins.
Obviously for most users this is a major issue because not all extensions can be installed using the web installer. Fortunately just like everything else this issue has a fix and to fix it just follow the instructions below:
- Access your Joomla admin panel with SuperAdministrator access
- Once logged in navigate to Extensions > Manage > Discover
- Although you already have a list of discovered extensions it is obsolete and you should click on the Discover button situated in the top left to refresh that list
- Once the page has refreshed you should see several plugins named “Installer – Install from…” in the list
- Select either all these plugins or the one that you require and click on the Install button situated in the top left right next to the Discover button.
- The plugins are installed, but not enabled so to enable them just navigate to Extensions > Plugins and enable all the plugins you just installed
- Lastly navigate back to Extensions > Install and make sure the warning is gone and the install options are now there.
Despite being a pretty basic fix it wasn’t brought to our the attention before, but here it is now.